[OPE-L:6952] Re: Re: value-form

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 11:02:13 EDT

Hi Chris, and all,

re OPE-L: 6945

It is worth recalling the discussion that led up to OPE-L: 6945.
Essentially, Nicky, Geert, Chris, Jerry and Tony had, amongst
other things, recapped some of the initial steps of the VFT
reconstruction of capitalism. In my previous post I drew on these
various presentations in order an attempt to grasp the VFT notion
of value, value form, form of value, money, and so on. Chris has
responded by pointing out that my attempt was flawed not least by
my inadequate grasp of the notion of a 'predicate'. Let me try again.

The value-form is the mode of association definitive of capitalism, a
mode necessitated by dissociation. The first step in explicating
this mode of association is to introduce the category 'value'. What,
then, is 'value'? It is the form that things take that is specific to
capitalism. 'Things', (let's say 'products'), are in fact 'commodities'
in capitalism. They have a 'two-fold character': on the one hand
they are use-values, on the other hand they are 'values'.

Now, the natural properties of the commodity (determined by its
extension in time and space) are no different to the natural
properties it has outside of capitalism (when it is not a commodity).
>From the point of view of material constitution, the commodity is
identical to the product outside of capitalism. So the new 'form of
value' that the commodity acquires within capitalism is, in this
sense, 'purely social'. It seems, then, that value has something to
do with 'society' but nothing to do with the material constitution of
objects.

To recap: 'value' is that which is necessary for association; value is
a form taken by the product within capitalism; value is purely
social; value has something to do with society (but not with the
material constitution of objects). But none of this gives a full
answer to the question, 'what is value?'. We will only learn more
through further systematic dialectical development (whence money,
capital, and so on are derived)

Final note: there seems to be a difference difference between Chris
and Geert/Michael re the introduction of value: R&W introduce
value as necessary to preserve dissociation; Chris introduces value
simply as a possibility at this stage, one which is grounded only
later in the presentation.

Is the above an accurate VFT answer to the original questions,
'what is value?', 'what is value form'? Or do I find myself, once
more, barking up the wrong tree?!

Best wishes,

Andy