[OPE-L:6959] Re: Re: the cost of slaves

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 17:35:53 EDT

Jerry/Rakesh,

I think that what we can say is that since the conditions that would
ordinarily provide free labourers simply were'n't  present  in the cotton
growing regions, then considering also Marx's comments  in Ch 33 of Volume
one on Colonialism, we can see that the only way capital was going to be
able to create cotton  as a commodity on the scale it, capital, required was
to create a 'modern' slavery.

This is not the slavery of an earlier society, but  is brought into
existence by capitalism, and capitalism must be held to account for it. This
is an historical fact and no amount of insistence that 'unless labour power
is sold as a commodity the capitalism cannot be said to exist' sort of
argument can push it to one side. On the other hand it is quite obvious that
this process does not properly involve capital as modern machinery, as
capitalist production properly speaking, and that consequently the use of
labour power however rapaciously simply cannot in the end, provide a cheap
enough product, that slavery is a temporary stop gap, that has to go, as
capitalist farming is introduced.

It is one of those common steps backward in social progress in the period
before a relative surplus population can actually be established.

Now the puzzle that seems to be worrying everyone is  if a product is
produced under conditions which are not fully capitalistic, or not at all
so, but these products are purchased by capitalism, can we say that these
products are, or have become, 'commodities'...'commodities' meaning the
fully matured commodity  made with free labour and in which surplus value
resides. The same sort of problem arises when we talk of the earliest raw
materials purchased from feudal states in the 18th century...they exchange
for money... so is the labour that has provided these materials somehow
'become'  abstract social labour? For fun I can call this the problem of
retrospective legislation, or  'surplus value by annointment'.

The point is that once a 'real' capitalist, the developed sort, buys any
item, exchanges it for money, then it certainly is, from then on, a
commodity with a price, but at that stage the social character of the labour
power that has been involved is only accidentally and hesitatingly coming
into existence as a commodity. In the case of US slavery labour power was
not a commodity.  Society was not bourgeoise.

Leaving aside US slavery, the application, somewhat blindly I think, of the
categories and relations of the mature industrial capitalism that Marx  was
examined, cannot be directly applied as a pre-existing  fomula to the
decaying  or subverted social systems with which capitalism was and is
dealing . There must be some sense of history in the analysis, then we can
see how the fuller, evolved character of the commodity comes into being.
Thus the labourer becomes 'freer'  too. It seems to me a contradiction to
apply the concepts applicable to a later stage of development, to an earlier
stage (even if artificially constructed).

Nevertheless if we take the example of modern prison labour, it is not free,
and certainly produces commodiites capitalistically, commodities whose price
is regulated by the market. However the price of the labour power is not.
Do we have an anology here for Jerry to use in the case of US ' modern'
slavery, but not in the case of other pre capitalistic societies?

In this reflection I certainly bear in mind Rakesh's quote from the TSV.

Paul Bullock