[OPE-L:6979] Re: the cost of slaves

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 20:17:58 EDT

Re Paul B's [6978]:

Hi Paul. I was hoping to be done for the day writing posts, but your post
deserves a prompt (if succinct) reply.

>  To you  only here, where is Engels say 'surplus value' was transhistorical...?  value yes.... but where sv?

I'd have to go through his writings more to be able to answer your question,
but my point wasn't that he _says_ that surplus value was transhistorical:
my point was that he often treats the expressions surplus product and
surplus value interchangeably, even when discussing different modes of
production, and that this _is_ a transhistorical understanding of surplus value.
Later-day Social Democrats, most  famously Kautsky, were probably were
culpable than Engels for this usage.  Even Kautsky's title for Marx's review
of economic doctrines, _Theories  of Surplus Value_, exhibits this confusion
(it was also, I think, somewhat arrogant to label this work _TSV_ when the
concept of s was developed by Marx himself -- even though, in _some_ ways,
there were antecedents in the history of political economy.)

> p.s .   Neither you ( by sticking to imprisoned labour issue) nor rakesh...who I think goes all over the place on this matter, with a mix of strange and then perfectly acceptable ideas.....  commented on my question/ statement that ( I restate)...

OK. Sorry about that. I'll comment below.

> Cotton was produced as a commodity, its price regulated by the world market, it had a price, so a value, it became a 'cost of production'  within advanced capitalist society, surplus labour was certainly performed by the slaves.... but why do we need to go further and say 'surplus value was produced?

We don't!

(NB: When you write that it was a commodity, I agree *if* you
mean by that that it was a product which was produced with the
intention of being sold, i.e. a product which has both a use-value
and an exchange-value. But when you write that it had "a price,
so a value" you make a jump that I'm not prepared to make. I
will most certainly agree, though, that cotton on the market  was a
commodity just like most other commodities, the money commodity
and labour power excluded since they  are/were unique commodities.)

> Since as you say a wage was not paid, but only bare subsistence offered in the form of products or access to petty cultivation...value, a cash outlay directly to the labourer, was not reproduced, nor thus surplus value created. The other social forms

(Ummm.  Not sure which other social forms you mean.)

> were definitely attendant because as we both agree US slavery was a creature of capitalism...... but this is where I am trying to see how the historical development of, limits to etc of the full set of social relations expressed in mature capitalism comes about, forcing out anachronistic forms as in this case.

I have no problem with the above. I agree that what appear to be --
or what actually are -- anachronistic forms deserve special attention.
Obviously, capitalism didn't drop from the sky fully formed (i.e. it
is a product of history) and there are many 'anachronistic' features
of contemporary and past capitalist social formations that deserve
historical (and other forms of empirical) examination.

> Does this approach manage to satisfy you?

I'm happy. Are you happy?

>  Clearly I can't have anything to do with the wild list of ideas in your list below!

Great!

In solidarity, Jerry