[OPE-L:6993] Re: surplus value discussion

From: Ian Hunt (Ian.Hunt@flinders.edu.au)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 07:39:46 EDT

Dear Jerry,
I agree that the account of what happens is important. As I said in
response to some earlier post, which I can't remember, I am not sure
whether the redistribution of value theory of commerical profit is correct
(but equally I am not sure that it is not). Your formulations about
redistribution of value in various cases of buying cheap in order to sell
dear are therefore acceptable to me, although there are also other cases
where profits are appropriated (Marx calls them 'super profits') because
'individual values' differ from market value. This is so in many instances
of profits from trade, and also in cases where one more productive
capitalist  will appropriate super profits (the individual rate of surplus
value of this capitalist will be above average). I agree also that in cases
such as sale of diamonds, the profits do not represent surplus value
extracted from the workers employed but from the ultimate purchasers.
In the case of slavery, where slaves are used to produce commodities for a
market, I  don't see why we should not say that the slaves created
commodities with a value in excess of the value of the products, including
amortisation of a slave. We could call the difference 'surplus value' (ie,
surplus labour in the money form). The form of commodity production is not
capitalist commodity production. We do not have surplus value as money
profits extracted from investment in the employment of wage labour, that
is, we don't have surplus value created through investment inter alia in
'variable' capital.
I am happy to talk of monetary profits in all of these cases, and to talk
also of 'surplus value' in cases such as slavery on the basis of an analogy
with capitalist exploitation. I am happy to use the term 'surplus-value',
where 'value' means the substance of exchange-value in commodity exchange,
if there is such a thing. The issue, as I see it, is whether in each form
of commodity production or exchange, there is a substance of
'exchange-value' call it 'value'. If there is, then it is appropriate to
speak of 'surplus-value' arising from usury , trade, slavery, etc. It is
another question whether the substance of exchange value in capitalist
commodity production is the same as the substance of value in these other
other forms. I think it is an empirical question whether there is a
substance to exchange value outside capitalist commodity production. If the
empirical evidence shows that there is no substance to exchange in cases
other than capitalist commodity production, then we can talk about money
profits outside capitalism, surplus value and redistributions of it within
capitalism, and for remnants of previous modes of production within
capitalism, we could say that their products have value in virtue of their
place in the system,
cheers,
Ian

>Re Ian's [6984-5]:
>
>[From 6985]:
>----------------------------------
>> However, I think it is a bit rigid to say that the only form of
>> 'surplus-value' in a broad sense that can exist is a surplus of exchange
>> value on variable capital. This is certainly the most dynamic form of
>> surplus value, the only kind that is part of a system of self-valorising
>> value. Merchant capital and slave-owner's capital don't have the same
>> dynamic role: they depend on differentials in costs of production which
>> globalising capital tends to reduce. As long as we are clear about the
>> respective forms of 'surplus-value' it may be less confusing to accept
>then
>> alongside the capitalist variety.
>>  Alternatively, we could try to reserve value for surplus labour in the
>> form of exchange value derived from employment of (formally) free wage
>> labour, and talk of monetary profits in the case of merchants and slave
>> owners. The advantage of this wouls be to emphasise the unique properties
>> of capitalism proper, prefigured but not realised in earlier forms (or
>> contemporary 'backward' forms such as US plantation capital in the
>> ante-bellum south). The advantage of the other formulation is that it
>> highlights the analogies between capitalism and other modes of production
>> (and even modes of profit making such as usury and merchant trade that
>rely
>> on appropriating surplus labour from inferior methods of production or
>> shortages or lack of liquidity) in the way Marx does when he compares
>> slavery, feudalism and capitalism as modes of extracting surplus labour
>> from a labouring population in Vol 1 of Capital. Here he says that under
>> capitalism it APPEARS that there is no unpaid labour, whereas in slavery
>it
>> APPEARS that there is no paid labour. Talking of 'surplus-value' in slave
>> commodity production is one way of going beneath those appearances. of
>> course, you have also to recognise the difference, as the appearances have
>> some reality (highlighted, for example, when slaves are worked to death)
>--------------------------------
>
>Well, of course, we could use 's' in contrast to 'S' or 'v' (for value, not
>variable capital) as distinct from 'V' (which you suggest in your 6984 reply
>to Chris).  It would be a confusing use of terms but that is a secondary
>question: the primary question should be how we are to conceive of what
>Paul B called "anachronisms"  within our overall comprehension of capitalism
>(unless we want also to have  a discussion about pre-capitalist modes of
>production.)  Again you have referred [84-85] to monetary profits received
>by merchant capitalists who buy low and sell high.  How are we to understand
>these processes more concretely in terms of whether s or S is created,
>whether it represents a redistribution of  S internationally, or whether
> [...]

Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Director, Centre for Applied Philosophy,
Philosophy Dept, School of Humanities,
Flinders University of SA,
Humanities Building,
Bedford Park, SA, 5042,