[OPE-L:7025] Marxist economics?

From: Asfilho@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 14:06:21 EDT

In his last message, John Holloway mentions, towards the end:

>the impossibility of a Marxist economics

I am not quite sure how this should be understood. I agree with the view that
what we do is political economy rather than (neoclassical) economics, that
they are mutually incompatible, and that a large part of our job is to
criticise (neoclassical) economics. In this sense one could argue that
"Marxist economics" is a misnomer, and that we do is a "critique of
economics".

I have also heard the argument that Marxists do *not* do political economy
but, rather, a "critique of political economy" - cf. the title of "Capital".
I disagree with this view, because I think it conflates what Marxism *does*
with Marx's critique of Ricardo, Smith, etc. Therefore, describing our work
as a "critique of PE" seems to me both misguided and misleading (but I may be
wrong).

John, can you help?

Alfredo.