[OPE-L:7070] Re: women and Marxian political economy

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 10:04:38 EDT

An afterward to my [7069]:

I think the question of why men tend to dominate Internet
mailing list discussions is related more to the question of
the dominance of men in discussion in other forums (whether
at the dinner table, or at faculty meetings, or at political
meetings, etc.) than with the question of the appeal of Marxism
(and Marxist political economy) to women.  To get at why
men tend to dominate the discourse in *all*  meeting and
discussion places where there is patriarchy, I think we'd have
to examine gender roles and socialization.

It should be noted that _even_ discussion on the marxism-feminism
and mat-fem lists tend to be dominated, ironically,  by male
subscribers.

I am, of course, aware that in writing 2 posts on this subject in a
short period of time, I am exhibiting  typical "male behavior".  So,
I'll  try to do something that men in patriarchal societies generally
have a hard time doing ... sitting back and *listening* to others,
especially women.

In solidarity, Jerry