[OPE-L:7072] Re: Re: the value[s] of labour power, nationally and internationally

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 18:01:45 EDT

I have a question to pose to Diego. If the basket of consumption is
historically determined and change -- that is, the elements that compose
such a basket change -- what can we say about the value of that basket?
Does it tend to increase? Does it tend to decrease? If the value of the
basket tend to increase, given the lenght of the working day, we would
have a reduction in relative surplus value. The contrary of what Marx
argued. I think the evolution of the value of labor power is an
important issue. It hasn't been tackled on its own right but only via
the analysis of the rate of surplus value. The increase in the rate of
surplus value, however, does not disclose to us the dynamic behind the
evolution of the value of the labor power. It is only compatible with a
rise VLP. Does naybody know any empirical analysis of the evolution of
the value of labor power, that is, basket and price of the basket in
different periods?
Paulo Cipolla