[OPE-L:7096] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: slavery

From: Ian Hunt (Ian.Hunt@flinders.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 20:57:08 EDT

Dear Nicky,
Having found some time to reflect on the points you raise, I think that,
while i agree that labour does not create value, I think you are a bit
quick in jumping to the conclusion that "capital creates value" or even
more that "only capital creates value". certainly social relations
constitute value but these relations, even in capitalism don't reduce
entirely to the wage-labour capital relation, however much they all may
take the final form that they do because of it.

With respect to slavery, certainly the purchase of a slave is not a
contract with a formally free person, and mostly slaves were purchased from
other capitalists (merchants) although ultimately they were stolen in what
Jerry calls a bit of "primitive accumulation". The cost of the slave in
production is simply amortisation of the purchase price (as with any bit of
fixed capital) and maintenance costs. nevertheless, it would be wrong also
i think, simply to equate the profit of the the slave owner with the
earnings of a simple producer, or the earnings of a "capitalist" in a fully
automated economy, as Steedman does, when he suggests that you can have
"profits" without surplus value. Steedman is right about the fully
automated economy but this does not carry over to the slave economy, since
we have exploited people. Perhaps there is no "economic" difference between
full automation and slavery, but there is a social one that would best be
made out by speaking of slaves producing surplus-value and being exploited,
even though there is no s/v to measure it.

I found your points about value the hardest bit to deal with. I would like
to take the position that there is an abstract form of value much as there
is an abstract form of freedom in Hegel's philosophy of spirit. Hegel takes
"the most abstract form of freedom" to be the capacity to stand apart from
any committment whatsoever, and takes this as an aspect of more developed
forms of freedom, from freedom to do as one pleases through reflective
freedom to what he calls "rational freedom". Only in "rational freedom" is
free self-determination fully realised. Now I have been trying to concede
that only in capitalist self-valorising value is the substance of value
fully realised but also to hang onto the (albeit limited) theoretical
usefulness of the most abstract concept of value in relating other social
formations to capitalism.
I hope the point above about slavery involving surplus value whereas fully
automated production does not is not taken as a committment by me to the
idea that labour creates value. (I don't know what that means). My idea is
that all economies involve allocation and coordination of social labour and
that in commodity producing economies, this allocation and cordination is
achieved through exchange. Talk about the "value" (in the most abstract
sense) of commodities is thus talk of the allocating and coordinating role
of social labour performed by exchange of commodities (though not in
isolation from other aspects of the property system). Labour creates
products and these have "value" when social labour is at least in part
coordinated by exchange (the exchanges would have to be ongoing and
systematic: the occasional, accidental exchange of goods between tribes
would not constitute products as commodities).
I hope this clarifies my position,
Cheers,
Ian