[OPE-L:7108] slavery, surplus value I

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 10:41:23 EDT

Jerry,

It seemed that you (and Nicky and Paul B) originally argued that
slaves could not have produced surplus value because  having not paid
slaves a money wage, plantation owners had not made a money
investment in variable capital (v) that is the sole source of surplus
value.

While Paul B is no longer pursuing this point, Nicky seems to be
sticking to this argument, and surprisingly Ian seems to agree that
there could not have been a v in modern plantation slavery, though he
then argues that those slaves produced surplus value (I have shown
where Marx  thought it was meaningful not only to speak of the
relation between paid and unpaid labor with modern slaves but to
compare that relation to the same relation endured by free wage
laborers).

It also seems to me that Nicky skirts quite close to the rather
unpersuasive argument that because modern plantation owners made no
investment in variable capital, slaves could not have have any more
performed  even surplus human labor for another class than a donkey
does.

At any rate, you never did explain to me or Paul C (who also pressed
you on this)  why a direct monetary purchase of means of subsistence
for slaves by plantation capitalists is not variable capital since
the money paid by the plantation capitalist for the reproduction of
the slaves' ability to labor (utensils, food, shelter and above all
else cotton clothes--I hesitate to include the purchase price of the
slave as v)  was less than the new money value which slaves
objectified in commodities (cotton, sugar, tobacco, indigo).

No wonder Marx challenged the illusion that all slave labor was
unpaid. Which is not to claim that Marx believed that slavery was not
more degrading than the free wage form of exploitation even if the
rate of s/v may have been higher with the latter!

In the first round of this debate, it had been suggested that since
the flow of value which a slave could produce should have been
included at some discount in the price that a trader charged a
plantation owner--I actually think this is the point  implicit in
Nicky's concern about competitive laws of exchange--it should not
have been possible for slaves to produce surplus value that a
plantation owner could himself appropriate.

But this argument fails for two reasons: (a) it does not prove that
slaves could not have produceed value, only that the plantation
owners may not have appropriated all the value which they did in fact
produce and (b)  the price of slaves would have been driven down to
the price that allowed the slaver to make a reasonable profit on a
very small capital investment and that price was in fact quite below
the flow of value which slaves objectified in commodities. The
evidence does in fact suggest that money capital spent on slaves was
quickly amortized, and it need not have been recurring if plantation
owners did not work slaves to death.

Now instead of defending your first argument about there being no
variable capital in modern plantation slavery or no money investment
which was the exclusive source for  the production of new value or
why variable capital has to exist in its pure form for  variable
capital to  exist at all,  you have shifted emphasis to the idea that
that only when workers depend on the money wage for their subsistence
do they live under the shadow of the sack which shadow is (for some
unspecified reason) the essential condition for the production of
surplus value. You however agree that the sack is not essential to
the compulsion of the performance of surplus labor.

But now you are repeating this new point in this last post without
engaging the reply which I have already made.

Again: Why does it matter  how the performance of surplus labor has
been compelled as to whether surplus value has also been produced?
Would early capitalists especially those operating in the tropics
always have been  able to rely on the sack  as the special factor to
convert the potential energy of labor power into the kinetic activity
of proletarian, value positing labor?

You will see that no where in this post do you give clear answers to
the questions that I have already put to you.

At any rate,  you respond as such:

>Sigh.
>
>Social relations of production, within class societies, express
>*class relations*.
>
>Specific production relations are thus expressions of  specific class
>relations.
>
>Specific production relations may require specific exchange relations.
>Under capitalism production and exchange relations are necessarily
>tied to each other: this is a consequence of  how capital represents
>a unity of the processes of  capitalist production and circulation.

There is no explanation here of why the specific exchange of a money
wage for labor power is necessarily tied to the production of value
and surplus value in the abode of production.

Note that the exchange of a money wage for labor power is not the
same thing as the monetization of the means of subsistence (again see
Kenneth Pomeranz on the monetization of the the means of modern slave
subsistence, especially in the case of cotton clothes and also due to
the fact that women who would have done subsistence food production
were often not transported). The latter (the monetization of the
means of subsistence) can obtain without the former (the direct
payment to "doubly free" workers of a wage), and modern plantations
were massive markets for mfg and industrial goods despite no money
wage being directly paid to slaves. So the modern plantation system
strengthened exchange relations.

You make an assertion of two elements being necessarily tied
together, but there is no explanation.

Talk about "sigh"!

You have put forward two theses:

a. only wage labor can produce surplus value
b. slaves can never produce surplus value.

Again your mere assertion over and over again of a necessary link
between the money-labor power exchange and surplus value
production--as well as your other uncontested, uncontroversial point
that the performance of surplus labor is compelled differently in the
case of slaves than in the case of wage earners--does not establish
or strengthen  either of your theses.

You have however agreed that free wage workers do not have to have
meaningful freedoms to choose employers and spend their wage as they
wish  in order to engage value positing labor. This was clarified in
our discussion of the South African compound system. The question of
whether once this was conceded it is arbitrary to maintain thesis b
was dropped.  So you are left with the question of why your
maintainence of point b is not arbitrary given what you have already
conceded.

I would suppose your answer is that unlike the slave the indentured
or compounded worker does live under the shadow of the sack and the
concomittant loss of subsistence as does the wage laborer. But then
you have to provide a reason as to why this form of the compulsion of
surplus labor alone results in the production of surplus value.

And you simply have not done so.

>Let us then consider two distinct class relations, two specific social
>relations of production:
>
>Relation One:  plantation owner confronts slaves in production
>                       process
>
>Relation Two: capitalist confronts wage-laborers in production
>                      process.

You have to split Relation I

I.A. patriarchal plantation owner confronts slaves in production process
I.B. capitalist plantation owner confronts slaves in production process.

Just as Relation II should be split in two

IIA. non capitalist confronts wage laborers in production process
IIB. capitalist confronts wage laborers in production process

Once we do that it is clear that the absence or presence of wage
labor in itself  does not establish whether there is a capitalist
production of surplus value.

Are you making any effort to understand what I am saying?

It should be clear to you as well that I am not saying the the so
called physicalist stuff in which surplus labor is embodied is  ipso
facto surplus value. Yet you burden me with the charge of stuffism or
physicalism and you continue to say that my views lead to a
transhistorical surplus approach.

Yet I have said over and over that not in all cases of slavery do
inputs and outputs take the commodity and money form, though in all
cases of slavery there may be a surplus product.

I wrote a long reply why not in the case of slavery in general but
modern plantation slavery in particular did value regulate production
(though Marx recognized exceptional cases in antiquity in which
surplus value and thus the boundless appetite for surplus labor had
become the aim of slavery). You never did respond to that post.

In fact, it seems to me that you have violated many of what should be
the canons of ethical and rational debate.

You repeat your arguments without engaging counter arguments (I
responded to your argument about why the differences that you state
between wage labor and slave labor are not sufficient to establish
your theses-- you did not respond; I clarified in what sense I meant
that the purchase of a slave may have been faux fraix, and you made
no attempt to engage my reasoning before lauching the same charge of
absurdity in the same unmodified form) or you jump to new arguments
to avoid engaging counter arguments (what happend to your insistence
that Engels knew that Marx should have  said only surplus labor, not
surplus value, in his discussion of the changing corvee labor system
or that this section of Capital is about surplus labor, not absolute
surplus value?); you make empirical assertions without providing
sources; you use guilt by association arguments (when I referred to
Fogel and Engerman's data on the rate of exploitation, you said that
they were discredited reactionaries without commenting on either the
specific point that I had made or the criticism of their work that I
had associated myself with; when I pointed out that Marx himself
underlined that not only wage laborers can produce surplus value, you
suggested that I was ending up in bed with Gil, though I have clearly
written against Gil that Marx's chapter 5 and 6 point was not to
prove that the production of surplus value required the
commodification of labor power but rather this great discovery: if we
assume that in a theoretically pure and fully developed capitalism Mr
Moneybags finds himself on the free wage labor island,  the
production of surplus value would only be possible if free wage
workers alienated labor power in exchange with Mr Moneybags instead
of labor time itself).

In fact I feel that the irrationality of your debating tactics is
quite obvious, though not to Nicky who seems somewhat comforted by
them.

At no point in this discussion have I felt that we were engaged in a
good faith and honest debate.

I am also not clear as to whether you have been justifying your
debating tactics as opposed to mine as feminist.

I would not however invoke the banner of feminism to justify your or
Nicky's debating style!

>There are similarities  -- just as there are similarities in all modes
>of production: in both relations,  there is a ruling class which lives
>off of the labor of a producing class; there is thus class exploitation
>and surplus product production.

Yes but these distinctions between surplus product alone and surplus
product + surplus value  hold as much between IA and IB as IA and IIB.

I can maintain your distinctions while still refuting your two main theses.

At this point, I suppose you have given up on the argument that your
theses were shared by Marx--if so, why not say so explicitly as Nicky
has. Nicky is clear that she does not care what Marx himself had to
say on this topic.

  And it seems that you have given up on your idea that in speaking of
the changing corvee system and modern plantation slavery Marx (and
Engels) meant only to refer to surplus labor, not absolute surplus
value and early capitalist production.

But... why  then would Engels refer to the changes in the corvee
system as the way in capitalism announced itself in the German
countryside? Why would Marx refer to the transformation of slavery
from a patriarchal institution into a system of surplus value
production twice in Capital I and once in Capital 3 and slavery as a
form of capitalist enterprise in TSV II? All mistakes, slips of the
pen? But then why did Marx refer to the surplus value produced in the
putting out system if he meant to advance your thesis that only wage
labor (as you have defined it) can produce surplus value presumably
because only in this case have capitalists made an investment in
variable capital?

You are not still claiming that Marx shared your theses a and b, correct?

You may want to argue that Marx should not have said these things
just as Fred (though more reasonably) has said that in order to make
his value theory of coherent Marx should not have referred to double
divergence as he in fact did at least twice. But Fred proceeds
honestly and directly in his interpretation of Marx.

But if you are now dropping your argument as to what Marx really said
(and assuming Nicky's stance here) or switching  your argument from
what Marx said or really meant to say to what Marx should have said
to maintain maximum consistency in this theory (as Fred has done),
then please say so clearly again as Fred has done. Of course you may
still be saying that Marx propounded your theses; if so, then please
indicate.

>  These relations can also have
>the common characteristic of commodity (note small "c")
>production when commodities are also produced in Relation One.

What do you mean by small c commodities?

It seems that you are defining  small c commodities as those
commodities that are not produced by wage labor. And big C commodites
are those commodities that are produced by wage labor.

So now instead of saying that non wage labor can  produce only a
surplus product and only wage labor can produce surplus value, you
are shifting to a point by definition that little c commodities are
produced by non wage laborers and big C commodities are produced by
wage laborers.

Not only is this new point nothing more than a tautology--you are
simply defining little c commodities as commodities that are produced
by non wage laborers--  it's an evasion of your own a and b. theses
stated above.

Moreover, your little c and big C distinction is not the distinction
Marx himself was making between little c and big C commodities. But
about that passage you will have nothing to say.

continued