[OPE-L:7200] Re: Re: NYTimes.com Article: The Muscle-Bound Dollar May Now Be an Achilles' Heel

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 22:30:20 EDT

This article ignores the side of the US economy that has done very well out of the high dollar--basically what Joan Robinson would have
described as the "rentier class", the speculators and hedge funds who have received enormous capital inflows to finance leveraged and
derivative positions on American paper capital.

I expect the fear that the US administration has about a devaluation of the dollar relates to the impact of all these speculative positions
being unwound at once as the dollar devalues. The total level of derivative positions worldwide now exceeds six times the annual GDP of
the USA, and the threat of a liquidity crisis, with counterparties not being able to deliver on their commitments when the dollar slides, and
thus defaulting and collapsing as did LTCM in 1998, is very real.

Cheers,
Steve