[OPE-L:7218] Re: Re: Re: Re: fundamentalism

From: dashyaf@easynet.co.uk
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 08:54:24 EDT

Rakesh,

I am not a Keynesian, neither was Mattick. The notion of a long-term or
short-term Keynesian is absurd. I argued a Marxist critique of  the
revisionist theories that were around at the time in the early 1970s. In
other words for me theory is developed within a specific context. Those who
we criticised at the time have gone on, in the main, along different paths.
They do not interest me any more. There are many issues that need debating
today and I try and make some contribution to such discussions when they
are concerned with matters that affect the building of a new revolutionary
movement.

For the record we attempted to give a Marxist explanation of inflation not
a monetarist one - ours related to the tendency of the rate of profit to
fall. Monetarist do not tend to argue along such lines. Finally we
discussed the importance of capital saving innovation and showed its limits
within the capitalist system. It was one small point among many and needed
dealing with at the time because of the many crude attempts to undermine
Marx. Our main criticism of the critics was they didn't understand the
nature or substance of capital. I think our argument was correct.

I do not continue to discuss such questions because I find such disputes
never really go anywhere and, as we frequently see in some of the OPE-L
debates, eventually the disputants agree to differ etc. The real test of
the truth or objectivity of a theory is a practical question etc... That is
my position and I believe it is a fruitful approach.

I am replying to you so as not to be accused of ignoring criticism, and to
be comradely,  but I have to say that I have no intention of continuing
further along the lines you propose.

David Yaffe