[OPE-L:7244] Re: fundamentalism

From: Michael Perelman (michael@ecst.csuchico.edu)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 18:13:13 EDT

I have not been following this debate -- too close to the end of the
semester.  I did agree with what Rakesh said here.

To me, slaveowners were a mix of capitalist and precapitalist mentalities.
No single characterization would apply, outside their profiting from of the
abomination of slavery.

Many certainly used the slave-produced food to lower variable capital, even
though the South imported an enormous amount of food.  One of the problems
was that theft of food -- reports of stolen hogs seem to be the most
commonly reported problem.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department