[OPE-L:7303] Re: Re: Re: interpreting Marx's texts

From: Diego (diego.guerrero@cps.ucm.es)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 04:38:21 EDT

Fred wrote in 7282:
> I think David presented the germs of the right approach to understanding
> Marx's logical method and to responding to the critique of logical
> inconsistency.  In myview, the two main points of this interpretation are:
>
> 1.  The determination of the total surplus-value and the general rate of
> profit prior to the determination of prices of production (not
> simultaneously).
>
> 2.  The same quantities of constant capital and variable capital are taken
> as given (as quantities of money-capital) in the determination of both
> values and prices of production, and thus these quantities do not have to
> be transformed in the determination of prices of production.

I would like to comment on this (Hi Fred):

1. The determination of the total surplus-value and the general rate of
profit is "prior to the determination of prices of production" because the
extraction of surplus labor from labor processes is a real process, and the
actual general rate of profit is the mass of profits divided by the mass of
capital, ie the mass of surplus labor extracted during a certain period
divided by the mass of previous accumulated labor measured at a certain
temporal point (especially, its first point) in this period. All these are
real processes. In order to understand them better, theoretically, we
theoreticians need some quantities and numbers which are helpful in this
theoretical capture: production prices-or-values are an example of these
theoretical numbers, as direct prices-or-values are as well.

2. "The same quantities of constant capital and variable capital are taken
as given (as quantities of money-capital) in the determination of both
values and prices of production, and thus these quantities do not have to be
transformed in the determination of prices of production" This is, in my
opinion, a correct reading of what Marx was thinking. But Marx just wanted a
way to determine regulating prices of actual prices. What is important for a
regulating price is to be helpful in explaining the behavior in real time of
actual prices. There is not just one set of regulating prices which can be
taken as operating as attractors of actual prices. Nor just one set which at
the same time is helpful to understand the two main aspects of competition
(intra-sectoral and inter-sectoral competition) which explain the major
deviations of the magtnitude of actual prices from our theoretical prices.

Matrix algebra gives us an easy way to calculate both direct and production
price vectors (as eigenvectors) which differ a bit from Marx's "vectors",
but serve as well as the same type of attractors or centres of gravity for
actual prices. Even if these vector are not Marx's ad pedem litterae, they
are in agreement with Marx's spirit and serve the same purpose: the
theoretical understanding of both exploitation-and-competition actual
processes, a sector or reality which we all want to capture.

What do you think?

Comradely,

Diego