[OPE-L:7339] Re: value and surplus in Baran-Sweezy and the

From: ECUSERS (ECBURKE@scifac.indstate.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 19:48:08 EDT

Jerry:

This is a question that I am not prepared to debate with you in
detail.  In my interpretation of the Sweezy/Baran/Foster view, Marx's
value approach is an essential part of the investigative method by
which they arrived at their results, and is also essential to the way
they treat the financial sector as an absorver but not producer of
surplus value.  This is not to say that the integrative questions you
raise are not important.  I think they have more to do with the
method of presenation than the method of analysis itself.  But there
is also the question of the consistency of their appropriation of
basically standard neoclassical analysis of monopolistic market
structures and Marx's more value-formed conception of prices of
production and market values.  I realize this is not a very pleasing
response to you, of course.

In the case of Foster's book, MARX'S ECOLOGY, the value issues are
integrated into his discussion and in his preface Foster he clearly
sets out the connection between my more value-theoretic discussion
and his historical-intellectual narrative.  There is no sense in
which Foster's book has any tension with value analysis.

Cheers, Paul B.

Jerry says: