[OPE-L:7341] Re: Re: Re: Re: cogoy and environment etc.

From: ECUSERS (ECBURKE@scifac.indstate.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 21:49:28 EDT

Dear Rakesh:

I wish I had more time and energy to respond to your very interesting
post.  And I am not that good at this mode/media of discussion.  (I
prefer to think about what I want to say for a few months before
saying it.)  But, in brief, I agree Marx's analysis is based on a
dialectic of value and use value.  The issue of how this relates to
material and energy throughput in production (including the valuation
of waste, etc.) is very interesting.  Marx draws our attention to the
divergence of unit commodity values and the amount of material and
energy throughput per hour of social labor time as capital develops
production.  I agree, in short, that the ecological significance of
Marx's value analysis must keep in mind use value (which always
involves the combination of labor -- itself a natural force -- and
nature) as the necessary vehicle of value and capital accumulation.
This is exactly the point of view that Altvater and others (including
myself) have developed in response to the notion that Marx's value
analysis is somehow anti-ecological.  The other central point is that
for Marx, value is not a normative, transhistorical concept but
rather a historically specific form of wealth or use value.  Many of
Marx's ecological critics fail to distinguish these two conceptions
of value.

In short, I agree with virtually everything you say below except for
the conclusion that value analysis is somehow an obstacle to
environmental analysis.  For me, value analysis always encompasses
the contradictions between use value, exchange value, and value.

Getting into this further requires among other things some discussion
of rents.

Cheers, Paul Burkett