[OPE-L:7361] [Andrea Vitale] 'Quaderni di Operai Contro' (Vitale): Marxism as science of workers' liberation]

From: ope-l administrator (ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 03:02:16 EDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: "Quaderni di Operai Contro" (Vitale): Marxism as science of
workers' liberation
From: "Andrea Vitale" <a.vitale@tin.it>
To: <ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu>

Dear Riccardo,

it is probably superfluous to say that the fact that Marx has sometimes
used a very caustic style against his opponents, including derision, it
is not sufficient to justify one in doing the same. By the way, I don't
think I have said so in the last email. Moreover, a mistake would remain
such even when it is done in good company.
What I wanted to emphasize was not merely an issue of style of
discussion. In the Quaderni of Operai Contro we have singled out
tendencies in Marxism (Algebraic Marxism among the others) which we
believe have limits and contradictions. We have explicitly denounced what
(we believe) are the errors and the (implicit or explicit) theoretical
consequences of the ideas supported by concrete individuals. In doing
this, we referred to what these people have written and thus made very
circumstantiated and documented criticisms against them.
The reason we have made all that, is that we believe the first step the
workers have to make to re-appropriate Marxism as mean of their
liberation is to free Marxism of all those tendencies that are completely
separated from the workers themselves.
Probably this is not that far from something that you have underlined in
more that one occasion, namely that the "analytic" and the "political"
part of Marx, science and revolution, are inseparable.
Of course, although my theoretical positions can be quite different from
yours, if we agree on the point above about Marxism, I think it would be
very interesting and useful to discuss the motivations that lead us to
write Quaderni of Operai Contro.
What I called there "Algebraic Marxism" is the erroneous and
contradictory attempt to compute values on the basis of linear equation
of "production". But, more importantly, this algebraic tendency is
nothing else that an attempt to reduce Marxism to a mere bourgeois
economic theory.
I guess that I have at some extent demonstrated this thesis in the
Quaderni of Operai Contro.
If one does not agree with that, I am ready to discuss it into detail. It
is necessary to make Marxism the science of workers' liberation. Marxism
separated from workers, separated from the actual process through which
they become a class, treated as a "simple" science, capable only to
interpret the world, it is nothing.