[OPE-L:7404] Re: RE: Commodity money in a Sraffian system

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 16:31:46 EDT

Gary, it seems to me that Marx`s argument is that gold can not have a price
because its price would be it own self. By definition price has to be the
expression of value in something different from the thing which is being measured.
It  seems to me therefore that one can not interpret that phrase as being
something equivalent to considering gold as the numeraire. The numeraire is
tipically a way of closing a system which presents more variables than equations.
Chosing a numeraire allows for the closure of the system. Marx does not seem to be
closing any system!
Paulo Cipolla