[OPE-L:7443] Re: The putting-out system/ dadni loans

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 18:03:59 EDT

Beautiful!  Thanks again for a useful reference.  I would note that the
distinction Alavi draws here between dadni loans in textile
production and the putting-out system corresponds more or less exactly to
Marx's distinction between productive usury and merchant capital
(Resultate, p. 1023), and thus to the distinction I draw in my recent
response to Mike, and for the same reason:  in usury capital, the
capitalist dictates no aspect of the production process; in the putting-out
version of merchant capital, the capitalist dictates it to the extent of
specifying (and supplying) the raw materials that are to be transformed by
the workers.

Gil