[OPE-L:7452] Re: Formal subsumption and putting-out

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 05:04:05 EDT

re gil's 7449

>As far as I know, Marx first introduces the notion of "formal
>subsumption" early on in the EM 61-63 in the following passage:
>
>"This *formal* subsumption of the labour process, the assumption of
>control over it by capital, consists in the worker's subjection as
>worker to the supervision and therefore to the command of capital or
>the capitalist."  [Marx-Engels Collected Works, V. 30, p93]

Marx did speak of the revolutionary role merchant capital could play
in the establishment of capitalism proper. I think Sweezy is right
about this revolutionary potential of merchant capital in the old
debate with Dobb. This revolutionary path seems to lie in merchants
reorganizing the putting out system for the purposes of direct
control over the production process, described by Alavi thusly:

>By contrast, in the 'putting out system' the entrepreneur took the
>raw materials round to the weavers, from door to door, and collected
>the finished cloth. He soon realised that instead of going from door
>to door, he could simplify his task by bringing all his weavers
>under one roof. That gave rise to the factory system which, in turn,
>led to mechanisation and a transition to the Industrial Revolution.
>That dynamic was absent given the financial organisation of
>production in India.

But all this has been eclipsed by the Dobb tradition in which the
"virtual identity" (as Jairus refers to it) between capitalist
relations of production and formal wage labor is simply asserted and
the origins of capitalism is thereby given in practical terms  the
single center of the English countryside.

Rakesh