[OPE-L:7466] RE: Simple commodity production and method/philosoph y

From: A.B.Trigg@open.ac.uk
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 14:48:22 EDT

Rakesh.
Many thanks for the prompt reply. You are concerned about simple commodity
production as an historical thing that might have existed, but I was
thinking of it more as a methodological starting point. As Ben Fine argues,
in Marx's Capital (p. 11), simple commodity production 'is more a logical
possibility than ever an historically realised dominant mode of production'.
I am taking this to mean something that we could logically think through in
order to start with a simple model, that has some of the characteristics of
capitalism, such as exchange and division of labour, but with no social
classes and no surplus value. If you accepted this as a logical possibility,
then prices would exchange at values, since there would be no surplus value
that had to be re-distributed. (As argued before the thinking through of
what capitalism is not, helps to understand and decompose the structrue of
what it is. This is a grand prize: the definition of capitalism. I am
thinking in terms of logical clarity; am not sure being buried in the
historical detail of American pioneers can get to this).

For all you Hegelians out there surely there is a defence of Marx's method
as building up the complexity from simple (logically possible)
underpinnings. Sraffa, I was reading, does this on the basis of
Wittgenstein, and even influenced his re-think. There is also the argument
that Marx gets this 'building up the complexity' approach from Aristotle.
Any thoughts from philosophers (of which I am not)?

You must of course know about the Catephores debate in the 1970s about
whether or not simple commodity production was an historical model of
production..I mention this in case it has been missed..I will check out your
suggested references, which is extremely useful.

Any comments welcomed.

Andrew (Trigg).