[OPE-L:7468] Re: RE: Re: RE: Aoki on money II

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 15:56:31 EDT

Andrew, concerning your comment

>Just off the cuff, I am sympathetic with Gil's argument that Marx does have
>a method of starting out with simple (unrealistic assumptions), like the one
>that prices=values. Simple reproduction is another stage in the complexity.I
>can't understand why you are frightened of simpe commodity production. Thuis
>seems to be extremely useful in defining what capitalism is and isn't. Why
>does it have to be capitalist? Its difficult to see on the email where you
>are coming from.

For what it's worth, I don't have any problem per se with the simplicity or
"unrealism" of Marx's assumption, following KI chapter 5, that
prices=values.  My issue is with the analytical justification he gives for
this "simplifying assumption," which I argue is logically invalid,
inconsistent with his historical analysis of usury and merchant capital,
and counterproductive with respect to his intended goal of understanding
the systemic basis of capitalist exploitation.  If you'd like a short
reprise of my argument on this score (which I don't presume...), we can
pursue this offline.

Gil