[OPE-L:7470] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: definitely not aboutCh. 5

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 16:34:53 EDT

I was wondering whether or not we have entered a new subsumption phase.
Following Gilīs scheme we had: no subsumption; formal subsumption; real
subsumption. Real subsumption, however, is unable to mobilize workersī
spirits in favor of capitalīs expansion of value. There have sprung,
nowadays, new ways of harnessing workersī will in accordance to capitalīs
purpose: a variety of fancy names whose sole purpose is to improve the
conditions under which labor power can be more advantageously transformed
into labor (to use R. Edwards formulation in Contested Terrain). Could we
be entering a phase of Subjective Subsumption of labor, the subsumption
of laborersī spirit, an acomplishment capital had not achieved either
under formal nor under real subsumption?
Paulo