[OPE-L:7535] RE: Re: RE: A breif reply to Rakesh

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 16:22:47 EDT

Here Fred doesn't address my central point that "A subtext of this discussion
is whether it is useful (or possible) to discuss the mechanisms that connect
prices, distribution and the technical conditions of production separately
from the role money plays in a market economy." In the "real world", whatever
that is, commodities exchange for credit money, not gold or any other produced
commodity; whether that does or does not invalidate Marx's analysis depends at
least  partly on what aspects of monetary phenomena one is trying to
understand.  All theorists make use of abstractions, and lots of different
sorts of abstractions are defensible in different contexts. Marx, it seems, is
entitled to make whatever abstractions he wants; Sraffa should be allowed to
do the same, and we should evaluate the legitimacy of his abstractions on the
basis of what he is trying to explain.

Gary