[OPE-L:7569] RE: Formalism and "exploitation"

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 18:41:23 EDT

Hey, Gary.  You write--

>Hmmm. I can't decide whether  (i) Gil's question is so big that I need to
>spend a few months thinking about it,

[either that, or so deep, subtle and richly nuanced....]

>or (ii) it's not a problem at all, so I
>can toss off a short answer that'll clear things up right away. I'm gonna
>toss
>off the short answer and mull over the bigger issues at my leisure, as the
>discussion unfolds further.
>
>I think, Gil, that you're manufacturing a problem that doesn't exist. I've
>got
>no beef with formalism per se, as I guess everyone on this list knows.  But
>the question of how unequal class relations can emerge and persist doesn't
>seem to me to be the sort of issue than can usefully be explored via formal
>models. I'd look to history and perhaps political science for the answer to
>this question. Gil alludes to "formally equal relations of exchange," but why
>take that as a starting point?  I'll wager that the "relations of exchange"
>that ultimately produced the constellation of institutions we call capitalism
>were decidedly coercive and unequal.

Then they weren't relations of *exchange*, at least in the sense that Marx
understands this term when he poses the problem of surplus value (and thus
capitalist exploitation) in Part 2 of K. I.  As he argues at the end of Ch.
6, market exchange is the "exclusive realm of Freedom, Equality, Property
and Bentham.  Freedom, because both buyer and seller of a commodity...are
determined only by their own free will.  They contract as free persons, who
are equal before the law."   Correspondingly (and I think legitimately),
Marx understands the conditions "that ultimately produced the constellation
of institutions we call capitalism"--which he discusses under the rubric of
"primitive accumulation"--*not* to be based on relations of exchange, but
rather of naked *extra-economic* coercion, as was involved in the enclosure
movement in Great Britain.

Which brings me to the significance of "formally equal relations of
exchange."  Other historical forms of coercion, be they on the basis of
class, gender, race, or whatever, are/were grounded *explicitly* in the
direct threat of personal violence (state-sanctioned or otherwise)--e.g.
the role of lynching in U.S. race relations, the role of rape in
conditioning gender relations, the role of the state in supporting the
institution of slavery.

Against these scenarios of direct coercion, the particular form labelled
"capitalist exploitation" appears to proceed on a radically different
basis.  You're a serf and you refuse to provide surplus labor to the feudal
lord?  You get killed and your family is driven out of their home.  You're
a slave in the antebellum US South and you run away from the
plantation?  You're hunted down by dogs, with the aid of the state, and
tortured and/or killed as an example to the others.

Not so with wage workers:  they enter into employment relations with any
given capitalist voluntarily, on a formally equal basis as fellow
exchangers of commodities.  They can thus refuse to work for any given
capitalist, and that capitalist has no legal right to threaten personal
violence in retaliation; indeed, workers thus threatened can, at least in
principle (and Marx insists on the presumption that this principle obtains
in his analysis) call on the state to *defend* them against these
threats.  And yet class  relations characterized by (*some* form of)
coercion, domination, and subordination persist.  Viewed in this light, the
key question that a theory of capitalist exploitation (or the set of
phenomena covered by this term) must answer is:  how so?  How do formally
equal relations of exchange, characterized precisely by the *absence* of
direct threats of personal violence, translate nonetheless into this very
unequal social outcome?

Now, as to whether this question can fruitfully, or even coherently, be
addressed via the use of formal models.  I realize you have no intrinsic
problem with formalism; that's not the issue.  To anticipate a little, I
also would agree that the *emergence* of unequal class relations is
essentially a historical rather than a logical matter.  But the question of
how persistently unequal class relations might be consistent with the
operation of individually voluntary exchange relationships based on the
formal equality of commodity owners is a matter of social logic, and thus
one to which formal analysis *might* be legitimately applied.

But why might it be *useful*, or perhaps in some ways even *necessary* to
do so?  I think the exchange with Fred concerning the relevance of the
Sraffian framework illustrates the answer to this question.  Social systems
are very complex, multidimensional things, and so the complete range of
implications of a historically given set of social conditions is at best
not easily gleaned through just verbal analysis.  [Try arriving at the
truth contained in the Frobenius-Perron theorems as applied to input-output
analysis without using formal argument, for example.]  Formal analysis
provides at least a potential framework for addressing such
questions.  Moreover, there are some issues concerning the systemic logic
of capitalist exploitation that I couldn't *imagine* being settled without
reference to an appropriately specified formal model.  But let that be the
subject of another post.

Gil