[OPE-L:7580] Re: Re: Re: Chris A on VF theory

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 07:22:36 EDT

At 0:39 +0100 31-08-2002, Christopher Arthur wrote:
>Ricardo

I  may kill you next time ... 8-)

>This is interesting - you really think we form a 'school' of two?? What do
>others think of thepara below?

school is a big word. I mean that on this point I do not see others
whos share exactly the same point, with the same centrality. but I
hope I'm wrong, of course ...

>I query this point about wages. First it is necessary to distinguish
>empirical matters and conceptual matters.
>1) Empirically in no case whatever are wages advanced prior to labour (for
>obvious reasons).  So the only question is whether they are advanced prior
>to sale of output. Here there are enormous variations, starting with a
>comparison of wage perodicity and production period. the former With casual
>labour may be a day but it may be a year when agricultural labourers were
>paid out of the proceeds of the harvest; I beleive weekly is the norm. On
>the latter Anyone who has ever employed a small building firm will be
>familiar with demands to 'pay something on account' to keep the cash flow
>in balance while the job is being done.
>  I seem to remember Geert claiming that today workers are generally paid
>after the sale of the output; so this would destroy your position
>completely empirically if it were true (which I doubt). Incidentally I very
>much doubt bank loans are for wages empirically; I guess they are for
>machinery.
>But IMO the key issue is not empirical but conceptual.
>2) I think it is very important at a volume 1 level not to have wages paid
>in advance because this strongly suggests it is a value input to production
>and should hence be transferred along with c. Absolutely central to Marx is
>that labour produces its own wages as  part of the added value, so
>conceptually, when studying the 'constitution' of capital, both the wage
>and the sv are ex post. But c counts as input regardless of credit
>arrangements empirically.
>Now assume this is understood and we have already constituted capital
>circulating. Here the question of before or after becomes indeterminate in
>the sense that expenditures and receipts happen continuously. But in
>calculating  its profit in its annual accounts wages come into cost price
>regardless of when paid.
>(BTW I raise the issue of whether 'variable capital' is correct terminology
>given it is not v that varies since it does not appear as a constituent of
>final value but only as a deduction from it. Any 'variation' is due to the
>absorption of living labour which is not a value at all.)

this is interesting, but I can't answer now, I'm leaving for some
time. I'll come back, I ater I hope. I agree with 2, however, about
wages in the value added. on the capitalist circuit, we defintely are
NOT a shooll (so I'm reduced to a school of one: which means, more or
less, I'm crazy).

>?? Abstract labour *is* immediately social

disagree: it is a process, for me: it is in production 'latent', and
though the SAME activity it is  the opposite of  concrete labour
which is 'becoming' abstract labour in the full sense of the world,
yes: with final abstraction completed in the phase of exchange, but
still the abstract labour in the commodity it is not IMMEDIATELY
money. money is *immediately* social.

I cannot elaborate here, for the hurry, but I guess you may
understand what I mean from Napoleoni 75, and some Rubin.

>- that is the point of its
>replacing concrete labour which is not - of course it requires money for it
>to exist.

that OF COURSE it's definitely not irrelevant in our disagreement.

>If you mean abstract labur in production then to avoid Alfedo's criticicism
>one still has to say this production socially determined production not
>private.

indeed, it is not strictly private, that's another point on which II
change relative to Napoleoni, it is, so to speaked, something which
has a preliminary, uncertain sociality (R&W pre-commensuration, plus
ante-validation, on which de Brunhoff is useful). there is a paper in
French of Bidet which also goes this way.

>But I agree about competition.

good!

>>so, as you see, from my interpretation, both initial and final
>>moments of circulation are deeply affecting production. but this
>>influences, which are powerful, are effective ONLY IN SO FAR the
>>counterproductivity of labour is won. this, again, is the CENTRALITY
>>of production, and of class struggle, in my (our?) approach. and this
>>we have only in (our?) Marx. no other social scientist ventured
>>there. and this is why I became a Marxian (if I may claim this label).
>>
>Yes. I think we pretty well agree. The problem is in the terminology. Every
>Marxist says production is central. So what VF must stress is that the
>terms are set by its being production for exchange which deeply penetrates
>it e.g. for me it is impossible to explain from production as such why time
>is of the essence (and why only certain time counts), it can only be done
>from the capital form.

well, about terminology I have to confess ...

>The sense in which production is central is that the
>material existence of the surplus depends upon winning the calss struggle
>at th pointof production.

I agree COMPLETELY with yours, and may I put forward that I  always
EXPLICITELY denied that from production AS SUCH cannot explain why
time is of the essence (indeed, this caution has always been one of
my KEY points, I don't  know why somebody can guess otherwise; btw,
one of the most contested thing of mine, the method of comparison,
has here its birth). and I also would accept, line by line, this last
sentence, indeed I thought I wrote it  several times with the same
terminology. so we here we are the same.

>  >
>>(a) I say, relative to the beginning of Capital, that the referring
>>of labour to value is not-convincing, and you say something similar.
>>but, unlike you, I am ready to accept this reference as a
>>preliminary, subjective argument to be posited elsewhere in Capital,
>>vol I, in the further development of value form determinations. that
>>is: you prefer not to speak of labour as some immaterial substance of
>>'value' until you come into the immediate production process.
>>
>>this difference is not very relevant to me. I mean:  can FULLY accept
>>your argument without changing almost nothing in my approach. I
>>simply (as in other places) I try to reconstruct Marx's argument with
>>the least changes as possible (and, as you know, this notwithsanding,
>>I have to change a lot!).
>>
>>this is for me is an instance of the positing of the presupposition.
>>BUT when what was presupposed is eventually posited, we see a BIG
>>change. the 'hypothesis' of labour value in the first chapter of
>>Capital was FORCED to refer to 'naturalistic', 'energetic',
>>'physicalist' elements, giving some ground to Ricardian readings of
>>Marx (Geert is at his best here). when the presupposition is posited,
>>this qui pro qui disappears. completely.
>>
>Yes OK but we do not *have* to presuppose it

may you expand?

>>(b)   another instance of positing the presupposition is relative to
>>money. money as equivalent is deduced at the beginning of Capital
>>>from general commodity exchange, in the stage of the argument when
>>the concept of capital has not been developed. when this develepment
>>happens, as you know, I think that the element of finance becomes
>>more and more central, and that this finance dispels the impression
>>that the general equivalent must be money as a commodity. so, I have
>>labour theory of value without money commodity.
>>
>OK but I think ch 1 is a necessary stage in the derivation of M as form
>regardless of LTV.

I think I may agree here, that is that though Marx did that
(interpretation) it is not necessary (reconstruction).

>Sure - dialectics sees only the completed form grounds the simpler (whether
>logically or historically).
>So if we could argue the separation was necessary to the concept of capital
>in general (not just a convenience e.g. for centralising hoards) then we
>could agree. It seems to me that expositionally we first study competition
>in commodity markets for sales, and then study 'competition for capital'
>when each industrialist tries to raise funds.'Competition for capital'
>closes the concept that began with competition between capitals. I think
>Sekine said this about 'capital as a commodity'.

yes, I would like to move this way, but here I have not completely
settled opinions. I'm ashamed. I have Sekine, but I've not yet read
it.

riccardo
--

Riccardo Bellofiore