[OPE-L:7586] Re: From Michele Naples on Gold

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 00:17:56 EDT

Michele's message raises several difficult points, including a novel
explanation for the magnitude of absolute rent appropriated by owners
of scarce agro-mineral resources.

1. Explanation of magnitude of absolute rent

If I understand Michele, the magnitude of absolute rent need not be
explained as the extra surplus value produced by capitals of low
composition in the agro-mineral industries. Rather if I understand
Michele, the land/mine owner appropriates all the surplus value
yielded by agro mineral extraction while the agro mineral capitalists
are able to achieve the industry wide profit rate through
redistribution of surplus value to themselves as if they were
commercial capitalists. This would render determinate the pricing of
agro mineral goods, which would be equal to their value in addition
to the uniform rate of profit on the capital invested by agro-mineral
capitalists. This would however then mean that agro mineral goods
have greater exchange value than their own value as a result of the
monopoly power of the owners of scarce resources.

While Michele's new objective explanation for absolute rent implies
again that the equation for the money commodity cannot be written (as
Gil recommends) into a system of transformation equations, Michele
argues that approach, as well as traditional equilibrium solutions to
the transformation, do not allow conditions in the non basic sectors
to affect the uniform profit rate, and thus cannot be said to
vindicate Marx.

I do admit to not understanding this last claim. And I may have not
understood Michele's explanation for the magnitude of absolute rent.

One additional point here is that Marx does abstract from absolute
ground rent and absolute urban rent in particular in analyzing the
formation of prices of production as we can see in KIII, part II.

But in considering the price formation of agro minerals Marx does
enter absolute rent into the ground level in order to ensure that
they do sell at value on the assumption that they are the products of
capitals of lower than average composition.

That is, Marx only considers the impact of absolute rent on prices
insofar as it is appropriated by owners of scarce resources which
serve as means of production or raw materials. This means that Marx
excludes the effects of absolute ground or urban rent on the price
formation of the mass of commodities. Catephores suggests such
exclusion of normal absolute ground and/or urban rent  may well be
justified because of how small they are and the extent to which they
are in fact payments for use of buildings which after all are a
product of labor.

That is Marx seems to think rent affects the pricing of scarce
agro-minerals in a way that absolute urban or ground rent does not
affect pricing for industries engaged in the production of freely
reproducible commodities.

I won't respond to Michele's criticism of my ideas as her criticism
seems largely correct. I would just say that I am not convinced that
even if the value of any unit of gold--whether produced in Babylonia
or South Africa--is determined by the labor  costs at today's
marginal mine, I still do not think there is a mechanism to ensure
that the purchasing power of gold will be proportional to that value
of gold or even its price of production.

I'll make other points later, but I thought I would invite Michele's
restatement of her novel explanation for the magnitude of absolute
rent. I fear that I have missed its nuance.

Yours, Rakesh