[OPE-L:7593] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Fred's remarks on Marx, Sraffa & Rents

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 17:51:26 EDT

Rakesh writes, in part,

 >At The MEL is also a given precondition, unaffected and "unaffectable" by
the transformation.  Ajit and Gil have been quite >dismissive about what
you Fred take as the givens--the cost prices, the MEL. But this is all
perfectly sensible. It will be interesting >to see whether Gil returns to
his criticism of your givens.

This is a bit harsh, isn't it?  I won't speak for Ajit, but I'd ask you,
Rakesh, to point to a single passage I wrote in which I've been
"dismissive" about taking cost prices or the MEL (the what?  is this what
Fred calls the "money-value produced per hour of abstract labor"?) as
"givens" in the determination of the average rate of profit.  I've raised
what I believe to be relevant concerns with respect to this formulation,
but I don't consider disagreement and engagement on analytical grounds to
be "dismissive."

Gil