[OPE-L:7620] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris A on VF theory

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 12:51:45 EDT

Chris A writes in 7597

>The fundamanetal value relation is
>Value of a commodity is a function of livinglabour + dead labour
>[labour in susbsistence goods appears nowhere here; all the dead labour is
>in means of production]
>Then it is realised hence
>Value = c + added value
>v appears nowhere here. It only appears when we ask what happens to the
>added value
>Value = c + v + s
>But this is ex post derivation. To read this as a determination of Value is
>a horrendous error of vulgar economy Marx polemicised against.

I am in fundamental agreement with this and attempted to make
something of a similar point with my respective formulations for
value's determination (dead labor + current labor) and resolution
(Value => c+v+s)

>ESSENTIALLY v is not advanced, it is produced (regardless of when wages are
>actually paid; tho' it is worth recalling Marx stresses the workers always
>give credit to the capitalist.).

But this is the important implication which I did not underline.

I find myself in enthusiastic agreement with what Chris says in this post.

Yours, Rakesh