[OPE-L:7649] Re: Re: Re: Gold & prices of production--Postscript

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 11:37:29 EDT

Gil, I still don't understand your equation.  Would you please write the
equation in mathematical symbols?

Let's not forget that this is supposed to be an equation for gold as the
money commodity (as in your earlier 7621).  Why then do you speak of the
demand PRICE, since gold has no price?

When you say the "demand price for the natural resource", do you mean the
price of the currently produced gold or the price of the gold mines?  We
are discussing the currently produced gold, right?  But gold has no price.

What is the demand for gold money a function of?  (Makoto has been asking
a similar question, I believe.)  Surely not the price of gold, since gold
has no price.

And what do you mean by the "absolute supply constraint"?  A given
quantity supplied (i.e. a vertical supply curve, as in the neoclassical
market period)?  Or something else?

It seems odd to add this demand equation to a Sraffian system of
simultaneous cost of production equations.  I wonder why the Sraffians
themselves do not add such an equation, and instead assume that absolute
rent = 0.  Gary, can you help us out here?

Thanks in advance for your clarifications,
Fred