[OPE-L:7657] Upcoming Class in NYC on Marx

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 07:06:40 EDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Drewk" <Andrew_Kliman@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:48:11 -0400
Subject: Upcoming Class in NYC on Marx

 Please feel free to post and forward

 Fall 2002 Class at Brecht Forum
=======================
MARX'S COMMENTARIES ON "CAPITAL"

 Andrew Kliman

 6 sessions beginning October 1
1st & 3rd Tuesdays of the month, 7:30-9:30 pm.

 At the Brecht Forum,
122 West 27th St., 10th floor, New York, NY
(212) 242-4201.
Tuition is $45-$65 (sliding scale).

 Course Description
==============
Karl Marx's Capital continues to provide unique insights into contemporary
global capitalism and the possibilities for social change.  Yet the book is
a difficult one and there persist many debates about what it means.
Wouldn't it be great to hear -- from the author himself -- what he intended?

 We will focus on two writings by Marx that shed great illumination on
Volume
I:

 (1) "Results of the Immediate Production Process," about 140 pages long,
was
originally intended as the book's concluding chapter.  Drawing conclusions
from his analysis of capitalist production, Marx discusses machine
production as the real subsumption of labor under capital, alienated labor,
productive vs. unproductive labor, and capitalists as the personification of
capital.

 (2) "Notes on Adolph Wagner," about 40 pages long, is his response to the
German economist's 1879 critique of Capital.  Marx sharply separates his own
understanding of "commodity," "value," and "exchange-value" from what he
regarded as Wagner's misinterpretations, and offers insightful comments on
the method of Chapter 1.

 The course is designed especially for folks who have read Volume I of
Capital, but who want to gain a deeper understanding.  Those who are
currently reading it, or who wish to read portions of it concurrently with
Marx's commentaries, are also welcome.

 Students should read Section I of "Results" (at the end of the
Penguin/Vintage edition of Capital, Vol. I) for the first class.  For other
readings and the course syllabus, contact the instructor at
Andrew_Kliman@msn.com

 Instructor
=======
Andrew Kliman teaches economics at a local college, and has recently taught
a course on "Economic Crisis and Crisis Theory" at the Brecht Forum.   His
writings on Marx's critique of political economy have appeared in Marx and
Non-equilibrium Economics, Capital and Class, Historical Materialism, and
elsewhere.