[OPE-L:7705] Re: Absolute rent

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 09:34:06 EDT

Re Rakesh's [7704]:

There are no # of issues here that need to be separated out:

1) is there any reason to believe that the composition of capital in
branches of production where there is absolute rent will be lower
than the average?
2) is there any reason to believe that the composition of capital in
mining will be lower than the average composition of capital?
3) is there any reason to suppose that the composition of capital
will be lower in the gold-mining branch of production than the
average composition?

On 2) and 1) -- the most general case -- I don't think there is any
reason to suppose that the composition of capital in branches where
there is absolute rent must be lower than the average composition of
capital.  Indeed, I can think of branches where one can observe
absolute rent where the composition of capital, arguably, is
*higher* than the average composition of capital.  Consider the oil
industry (Cyrus, are you reading this?) which is much more "capital-
intensive" than is the case in many (if not most) industrial manufacturing
branches.  Consider the many sites where a oil drill is pumping without
any workers required on-site.  In addition to the low v required (after
exploration), the constant capital costs can be often much higher
than the average in industry (consider the costs associated with offshore
drilling).  As for mining in general, I  think that if we went on to discuss
individual branches we could see that there are some mining branches
where the composition of capital is higher than the average (e.g. uranium
mining?) and others where the composition of capital is lower.  This
would suggest that there is no necessary non-contingent reason to
believe that the composition of capital in mining (or where there is
absolute rent) must be lower than the average composition.

Moving to a later issue in your post:

> So you are certainly correct
> that there is good reason to believe that the composition of capital
> will tend to increase in mining, though the economic disincentives
> for investment in long lived fixed capital remain.  And the
> composition will also be increasing elsewhere.  So there does not
> seem to be a good reason to expect that the composition of capital in
> gold production and mining generally will close in on the already
> greater and also upward moving average composition of total capital.

There are (incentives and) disincentives for investment in "long
lived"  constant fixed capital in gold-mining production and _all other_
branches of production.  There is moral depreciation, after all.

Yes,  gold-mining capitalists may find after they have invested heavily
in c for individual mines that there is less gold in the ground than they
originally expected.  This may lead to the 'premature' closing of mines.
Yet, industrial capitalists have similar risks.  E.g. a change in the
composition of demand can lead to a decision by industrial capitalists
to close plants and thereby lose the remaining value of their constant
fixed capital.  It is true, of course, that gold-mining capitalists will
expect a mine to "live" for a certain amount of years -- and their
estimate will be proven ex post to either be correct or incorrect.
Industrial capitalists make similar estimates  when and where they
construct a new manufacturing plant.

Another issue:  what happens when the gold-mining capitalists (or
other capitalists) receive a rate of profit less than that average rate
of profit?   Well ... since we're talking in part about constant fixed
capital ... what about "barriers to exit"?   Take the case of the
marginal gold mine.  Let's say the average rate of profit in the
economy is 10% and the individual rate of profit in the marginal
gold mine is 8%.  Does that mean that the owners of the gold
mine will shut the mine down?  Not necessarily.  One has to
remember (and certainly the gold-mining capitalists will remember)
the amount of constant fixed capital that they have invested in the
mine.  It may be the case that they will lose less money if they
continue to receive the 8% individual rate of profit than if they
closed the mine and lost the value of the remaining constant
fixed capital.  Thus, the value tied-up in constant fixed capital may
retard the "mobility of capital" that is assumed in the formation of
prices of production. Note that this issue arises because a certain
portion of capital *necessarily* takes the form of constant fixed capital.

In solidarity, Jerry