[OPE-L:7760] *CHECK POST #S: Caution on virus*

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 11:59:46 EDT

Re Makoto's 7759: Caution on virus

> According to our University Virus check system,
your file attached to [OPE-L:4540] is infected by virus
'W32.Bugbear@mm'.

a) 4540 was posted by Fred on November 20, 2000.

b) The post containing a virus allegedly sent by Paul C
numbered 4551 was originally sent on November 21,
2000 (this is the post that Rakesh warned against in 7753).

Putting a + b together it seems as if some person or persons
is trying to infect the computers of OPE-L members.
Consequently, it looks like *we are under political attack*.

A  short-term solution is to *CHECK THE OPE-L
ID NUMBERS OF THE POSTS YOU RECEIVE AND IF
ANY ARE WAY OUT OF SEQUENCE THEN DELETE
THE MESSAGES*.

NB: the new (infected) versions of 4540 and 4551 were
NOT POSTED but were sent to individual subscribers. In
other words, they _look like_ they are OPE-L posts but were
sent instead by some person or persons unknown.

I suspect that whoever is responsible would like nothing better
than for us to cease our discussions.  We can not give her/
him that victory.  The discussions must continue!

In solidarity, Jerry