[OPE-L:7810] Re: 'Hic Rhodus, hic salta!'

From: glevy@pop-b.pratt.edu
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 13:55:49 EDT

Re Fred's [7805]:

> Jerry, the magnitude of s that is taken as given in Volume 3 has
> already  been determined in Volume 1.  It does not have to be
> determined later; it  has already been determined, by the quantity > of surplus labor.	Do you see what I mean?

Fred, the determination of the magnitude of surplus-value in Volume
One was made under the *assumption* that the entire surplus-value
created in production would be actualized in exchange.  Therefore
the magnitude of surplus-value in Volume Three has not been determined
except for the *special case* where the entire surplus-value is actualized.  In other words, the magnitude of s in Volume 3 will equal the magnitude that is given in Volume One *if any only if* the reality corresponds to this restrictive assumption.  But, one would think that during the contractionary phase of the trade cycle this assumption will _not_ hold as there are unsold inventories of commodities.  Thus, if we are going to talk about the magnitude of surplus-value during periods of crisis then this restrictive assumption must be dropped.  Do you see what I mean?

In solidarity, Jerry