[OPE-L:7888] Re: 'Hic Rhodus, hic salta!'

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 07:35:56 EST

Re Paul C's [7886]:

> I am meaning subjectivist in a more technical sense, one in which
> the model of the world held by a subject ,be they juridical or personal,
> is mistaken for the world.
> The sale of goods is the means by which the firm as a subject builds
> its internal model of the necessity of its product. But it is the
> necessisity of lack of it of the product that determines the sale.
> To say the sale or absence thereof determines the necessity is to
> mistake the model for the reality.

So, under capitalism, only those goods which are "necessary" are sold?

I would say that rather than commodities existing in the conception
of the bourgeoisie alone (i.e. a model of the world held by a subject),
commodities have a social reality under capitalism.  The fact that
goods (and services) must be sold to fully become commodities and to
express value is an aspect of that social reality rather than a mistaken
conception of the world.

Furthermore social necessity is socially constructed and reconstructed
_by economic subjects_.  Yes, of course there are limits to which
subjects can define and redefine necessity but necessity itself is not
only an objective force.  This is a reason why there are variations in
(social) necessity spatially and temporally.

In solidarity, Jerry