[OPE-L:7925] Re: Re: Re: Re: unequal exchange and poverty in African countries

From: clyder@gn.apc.org
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 08:35:42 EST

Quoting Alejandro Valle Baeza <valle@servidor.unam.mx>:

> <head>
>   <title></title>
> </head>
> I agree with Paul: in general unequal exchange is a misleading discussion.
> Amin and Emannuel &nbsp;did several mistakes. By example, Emannuel ignored
> the
> tendency to sell &nbsp;products at similar prices in world markets despite
> huge
> differences in productivitys. Latina American structuralism pointed out that
> terms of trade was against LA and they extracted a critical vision against
> spontaneous growth during Postwar years previous to Neoliberal Era (80 and
> 90). &nbsp;I agree with &nbsp;Paul that this is not unequal exchange or more
> precisely
> that it does not imply impoverishment by international trade.<br>
> However, the relationship between &nbsp;impoverishment and international
> trade
> is a very important issue. I &nbsp;see recently a BBC program about&nbsp;
> slave labor
> in world. &nbsp;In India, by example, there are &nbsp;300 000 child working
> &nbsp;in tapestry
> &nbsp;20 o 21 hr by day without payment! &nbsp;Coconut industry is Africa
> uses a lot
> of slave labor also. The &nbsp;BBC said: every time coconut price decrease
> more
> slaves are required. &nbsp;Hence the link between impoverishment and
> international
> trade is obvious. &nbsp;My view is that the normal operation of law of value
> is
> enough to explain such link and &nbsp;unequal exchange is not necessary.<br>

That is my view too, though I am not sure I understand quite how
the law of value operates in cases where there is slave labour
in the poorer country. My first thought is that it would not
lead to a transfer of value to the purchaser of the commodity
but to a higher rate of profit to the slave owner - who will
usually be resident in Africa or India.

href="http://global.so36.net/en/2002/09/386.shtml">http://global.so36.net/en/2002/09/386.shtml>

href="http://csf.colorado.edu/wsystems/archive/papers/kohler/kohler3.htm">http://csf.colorado.edu/wsystems/archive/papers/kohler/kohler3.htm>