[OPE-L:7947] (Fwd) Re: Re: relation of value to organic compos

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 06:56:53 EST

meant for the list....

Date sent:      	Thu,  7 Nov 2002 11:55:03 +0000
From:           	clyder@gn.apc.org
To:             	Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk
Subject:        	Re: [OPE-L:7933] Re: relation of value to organic composition of capital

> You are right that the TCC cannot properly be compared across
> time or place. Nevertheless one would want to be able to say that as
> capitalism progresses labour saving technology is the norm, which is
> equivalent to saying that the TCC rises. Marx uses the phrase 'mass'
> of means of production thus one could measure the vector of means of
> production by literally commensurating in terms of mass but this is
> crude at best. Simon suggested an index in terms of constant prices
> of the means of production. But this rather goes against the
> 'spirit' of Marx's TCC notion which is supposed to be independent of
> value altogether.

Yes but if the technical composition is a vector what does
it mean to say the mass is increasing. What if one component
goes up
and another goes down, has the 'mass' increased or decreased?

Use of historical cost data may provide a way round this, but
not when the components of the means of production did not
exist in the past.

How can you compare the 'mass' of jet airliners against that
of steam trains, if you are comparing the technical composition of
capital now with that in the 1920s.