[OPE-L:7971] valuation of constant capital when price exceeds value?

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 14:29:15 EST

Let me re-phrase the issue I posed in an awkward way in  [7970]:

1) suppose that a sub-set of means of production (including
commercial software) is sold at market prices in excess of value.

2) clearly, the  value transferred to the commodity product
can not be altered by the mere fact that the market price is greater
than value.   So, whatever the price the value transferred is not
thereby altered.

3) we can't calculate the extent to which the market price exceeds
value unless we know the underlying value.  But, how can we
know this?

4) does  that portion of the price of this sub-set of commodities that
is above the underlying value constitute part of the firm's constant
capital?   How this question is answered is relevant for other
questions such as how the rate of  surplus value,  the rate of profit, and
the composition of capital are calculated for individual firms,
in individual branches of production, and internationally (see below).

5) How is it then possible to trace the inter-sectoral flow of surplus
value among capitalists?  To the extent that these commodities
are produced and sold internationally, what data and statistical
adjustments would be required to "follow the money and surplus
value" to see which firms in what countries gain surplus value at
the expense of  what other firms and to what extent?

In solidarity, Jerry