[OPE-L:7994] Non equilibrium power politics

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 16:27:00 EST

PETER GOWAN

A CALCULUS OF POWER

John Mearsheimer's  Tragedy of Great Power Politics disdains
liberal-imperial rhetoric for a tough-minded theory of 'offensive
realism'. Peter Gowan argues that, whatever its merits, the behaviour
of states in the international system cannot be dissociated from the
internal dynamics of the political orders they protect.

http://www.newleftreview.net/NLR25003.shtml

Looking through the book, I must say that I was left confused about
the exact advantages from and precise defintion of the regional
hegemony to which all great powers aspire first and foremost,
according to Mearsheimer. Mearsheimer concludes with severe criticism
of US foreign policy towards China; he argues for economic isolation
which will strangle the growth rate of the potential hegemon.  He
does not believe wealth will render China democratic and peaceful;
rather the economic growth which US engagement now propels will
enable it to attempt a serious bid for regional hegemony which may
set the context for wars more horrific than those that haunted the
last century.

rb