[OPE-L:8024] Semmler and Nell

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 08:14:51 EST

Re [8023]:

> From: "Erdogan Bakir" <bakir@econ.utah.edu>
> Semmler and Nell wrote following piece although they can not be called
> marxist in any meaning of the word. This piece reflects much of their
> conversion into neo-classical economics or keynesianism at best.
> http://www.newschool.edu/gf/econ/syllabi/Iraqinvasion.PDF

Thanks for the reference, but I think it is *very*  mistaken to refer to
either Willi Semmler or Ed Nell as neo-classical economists.  It may
be hard to classify their thought -- since they resist self-designation and
draw from different schools of thought -- but they are *not* neo-classical.
I also think that the tag of Keynesian is misleading -- although both
Semmler and Nell have been influenced by Keynes and Post-Keynesians.
They are probably best described as Post-Keynesian -- understanding,
of course, that the PK body of scholars is very heterogeneous to the extent
that there are some like Paul Davidson who are very close to the 'Keynes'
side of the PK spectrum and many other authors who have been strongly
influenced by Marx and Kalecki.

In solidarity, Jerry