[OPE-L:8038] Heisenberg

From: Paul Cockshott (paul@cockshott.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 17:22:09 EST

A possible new topic for discussion --  the
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle:

Quantum mechanics isn't exactly my area of expertise,
but  I wonder what others on the list think about the
implications of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP)
for political economy and Marx.

*  In a very general way, does the HUP have applications for
the study of bourgeois society -- and if so, what are they? --
or is it overextending to take a principle from quantum mechanics
and apply it to political economy?

No relevance what soever. The quantum of uncertainty
specified by HUP is microscopic and negligable for all
large objects/configurations of matter.

*  In particular, could the HUP have application when examining
the systematic connections between a mode of production and
(non-human) nature?

No. To think that it does is to fall for the most vulgar
idealist interpretations of quantum mechanics