[OPE-L:8114] Re: Re: RE: Re: philosophy and political economy

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 08:49:57 EST

Fred wrote:
I argue that Marx took the wage-bill (i.e. variable capital) as given, and
then assumed that the quantity of value added (VA) produced is determined
by the product of the quantity of socially necessary labor-time (L) and
money-value produced per hour (m); i.e.

        VA = m L

>From this basic assumption, the quantity of surplus-value is explained, as
follows:

        S = VA  - V             V is variable capital

          = mL  - V

          = m (L - Ln)          where Ln = V / m

This theory explains why value added is greater than variable capital -
because in only takes workers a part of the working day to produce
value-added equal to variable capital.  But without the assumption that VA
= mL, there would be no explanation.

Hi Fred and colleagues of OPE-L,
It is not clear to me why your  algebra allows you to conclude that "this
explains why value added is greater than variable capital". It explains rather
why a condition for the existence of surplus value is VA>V, or saying the same
differently: a condition for surplus value is that L be greater than Ln. But
none of this algebra explains why in fact it is. This difference between L and
Ln seems to me to be a result of history. It was true in feudalism already!
Capitalism increases the distance between L and Ln. Maybe it was just a matte
of expression. Could you clarify further? I thank you in advance.
Paulo