[OPE-L:8120] last message garbled

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 13:17:19 EST

sorry please read this repy to 8115; I left out a sentence which
garbled the meaning of the last.

re 8115

Hi Andrew,

I have in mind the age old model of mechanical motion, parodied as
billiard ball causality. Here an instance of mechanical motion has to
be begun by an imposition from an external agent.
Now weren't there attempts (Hume? the Enlightenment philosophes?
Naturphilosophie?) to introduce the idea of self-moving active
matter? And even if such self moving active matter is already
implicit in the mechanistic worldview since the principle of inertia
clearly states that a body continues in its state of rest or uniform
motion unless compelled to change  to  change by forces impressed
upon it and thus renders self-motion or Leibnzian conatus rather than
extension fundamental to matter--I understand this to be have been
your main point in 8115--it seems that the possibility of self
organizing matter is quite an extrapolation from the idea that matter
moves itself.
Perhaps I am trying to understand better this break with mechanical
materialism, and failing miserably even to pose the question which
did to its breakdown, though for this history of ideas I have relied
on Steven Asma Following Form and Function.

All the best, Rakesh