[OPE-L:8144] Re: Re: direct and indirect causes of surplus-value

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 21:44:07 EST

Hi Jerry, thanks for your comments.  A couple of brief responses below.

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, gerald_a_levy wrote:

> Re Fred's [8139] which was a reply to Paolo's [8135]:
>
> > As I understand you, you argue that my equation summarizing Marx's theory
> > of surplus-value
> > S = m (L - Ln)
> > does not explain why surplus-value exists, but is only a necessary
> > condition for the existence of surplus-value.  (is this correct?).  Would
> > you also say that L and Ln are not "causes" or "determinants" of the
> > magnitude of surplus-value?
> > I argue that this equation does provide an explanation of the DIRECT
> > CAUSES of surplus-value - L and Ln (given m).  A given change in L or Ln
> > will CAUSE a change in surplus-value, by a determined amount, determined
> > by the above equation.
> > I agree that this equation does not provide an explanation of the INDIRECT
> > CAUSES (or ULTIMATE causes) of surplus-value - the causes or determinants
> > of L and Ln.  Marx's theory has quite a lot to say about the determinants
> > of L and Ln (class struggle, productivity, etc.), and you are correct that
> > this equation does not capture all of this further theory of the indirect
> > or ultimate causes of surplus-value.  But it does express Marx's theory of
> > the direct causes of surplus-value, which is the basis of the further
> > theory of the indirect causes.
>
> You are using the expressions "indirect causes" and "ultimate causes"
> synonymously above.  This is, I think, an unusual usage of these terms.
> What is your basis for identifying "indirect causes" of surplus value with
> "ultimate causes" of surplus value?

I agree that equating "indirect" cause and "ultimate" cause may be
misleading - in the sense that the indirect causes of surplus-value that I
have mentioned (class struggle, productivity) - which are causes of the
direct causes of total labor (L) and necessary labor (Ln) - are themselves
caused by still other determinants.  So I will just stick to the
distinction between "direct" causes and "indirect" causes.

What I am suggesting is that there is a "layering" of explanations of
surplus-value: the first layer is the identification of L and Ln as the
direct causes of surplus-value.  The second layer is the identification of
the causes of L and Ln - class struggle, productivity, etc.  A third layer
would be the identification of the causes or determinants of class
struggle, productivity, etc.

> > <snip, JL>  And
> > without a theory of the direct causes, there cannot be a theory of the
> > indirect causes.
>
> One could just as easily say that unless one has a theory of the ultimate
> causes of surplus value then one can not have a theory of the direct causes
> of surplus value.

I would say that, without an explanation of the indirect causes of
surplus-value, one does not have a complete (or even
satisfactory) explanation of surplus-value, but at least one has a partial
explanation of surplus- value.

On the other hand, without an explanation of the direct causes of
surplus-value, one cannot have ANY explanation of the indirect causes,
because the indirect causes are the causes of the direct causes.

Thanks again.

Comradely,
Fred