[OPE-L:8188] Re: Marx's Notes on Wagner available on MIA

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 08:44:55 EST

Re [8181]:

Hi Martha.

> Regarding what to say on the 'Notes', I find them of particular interest,
> first, because they are one of the few places where Marx discusses
> Neo-Classical theory, or a utility theory of value (which is what all the
> references to needs, goods & man as a needy being etc, are about).

Yes, and it's also useful because of his unambiguous claim about the
importance attached to use-value in Marx's own theory of value.

> It was helpful to me to have an some idea of the organization of Wagner's
> text, since Marx's comments refer first to the opening chapter of Wagner's
> book and then jump to a later chapter on value, which Wagner introduces
> with some comments on Capital.

The MIA has quite a large collection of writings by economists and
philosophers who are _not_ Marxist.  If there aren't copyright problems
and if someone has the energy to transcribe it, perhaps it would be useful
to put Wagner's book online.  Indeed, if that was done then the MNW for the
first time (?) could be published _as marginal notes_.

In solidarity, Jerry