[OPE-L:8231] "immanent measure" in Hegel and Marx

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 09:41:05 EST

Re Chris's [8230]:

>As we know money is the real measure.
> Elsewhere Marx refines this statement here to read LT is the 'immanent
> measure'. This is not a concept known to me from any other science. It is
> tempting to read it as a confused way of saying immanent determinant as
> when we say weight is 'mG' where m would model LT and G would be modeled
> by  some kind of exchange field. Or it could be there is some very
> intimate  relation between value and labour time which is neither identity
> nor  determinant but something in between. My instinct is to go for this
> last.

What about the Hegelian conception of science?

Hegel uses the expression "immanent measure" in the _Science of Logic_
(in Volume 1 ["The Objective Logic"], Book 1 ["The Doctrine of Being"],
Section 3 ["Measure"], Ch. 1 ["Specific Quantity"]).  Within Hegelian
thought the subjects of 'Magnitude'  and 'Measure' are  quite complex.

In solidarity, Jerry