[OPE-L:8262] Re: Re: "immanent measure" in Hegel and Marx

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@waitrose.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 08:45:42 EST

Jerry
It is irritating H does not give enough examples. With reference to the
second of these quotes below:
a) "If two things forming a compound body owed their respective
> specific natures only to a simple qualitative determination, they
> would only destroy each other when combined. "
If I add one dollar to my 10 dollar account I have 11 but the originals have
been destroyed. It does not make sense to ask which dollar was the last I
put in. But there is a complication here. I would argue that the single
qualitative dimension is here in truth pure quantity. As such value is pure
externality - this connects with some of Michael E's mails.
b) "But a thing which is
> an IMMANENT MEASURE RELATION is self-subsistent; it is
> therefore also capable of combining with another such thing.  But in
> being reduced to an element of this unity, it preserves itself through
> the persistence of its indifferent, quantitative character and at the
> same time functions as a specifying moment or a new measure
> relation. "
If I add one apple to 10 apples I get 11 but here each apple has
self-subsistence and it does make sense to ask which was the last one added.
This applies to commodities insofar as they are use values for sure and an
interesting question is  what insofar as they are considered as embodiments
of abstract labour. Traditional LTV would go one way and VF theory possibly
another.
c) In my paper on many capitals in *The Culmination of Capital* eds Campbell
and Reuten I argue that there is a fundmental incoherence betwen capital
considered in the former light as inherently mergable and in the second
light as always externally particularised in use value sites.

Chris A
--
C. J. Arthur 17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England