[OPE-L:8282] philosophy and political economy and time

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@waitrose.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 14:01:44 EST

Re Michael's 8081 of Cologne 28-Nov-2002
A long delayed reply on time. Of course when I say time is money I do not
mean the dimension is time, what I mean is that the amount is a function of
the time capital is tied up for. As far as I can see you think the deltaM
is a contingent amount predicated on some Hayekian like creation out of
market imbalence. But I would like to support a version of LTV as follows:
Kapital situates production within the time of it own circuit of movement.
This means that if the GRP functions as any kind of regulator of the
strivings of individual capitals then there must be a form determining of
the money measure such that in the first instance (there are many other
instances, ioncluding contingencies) it is necessary according to the
Concept of capital that each K is rewarded in proportion to the time for
which it is tied up producing commodities, and in effect suffering a kind
of freeze in its movement compared with an ideal K that produces
instantaneously. The only way to for this to be acheived is to set the
reward of the ideal K at zero and set a new value proportional to each LT
such that every K valorises at the same rate.
I am not saying SNLT is some originary principle but that the form of
self-valorisation grounds itself in the exploitation of labour and it
measures this ground according to its own form, i.e. not energy, not toil
and trouble, not pleasant/unpleasant, or any other subjective perception of
laborers, but objective time alone because for K time is money whereas for
the peasant 'time costs nothing'.
Of course for this to result in SNLT registering immediately as price
requires a huge cet par and it requires arguments for why LT is more
constitutive of value than e.g. turnover time. And then there is the
'revaluing' of specific Ls as a result of transformation, including skills
etc.
Chris