[OPE-L:8316] Re: Re: Electronics and Value

From: Paul Adler (padler@usc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 12:59:26 EST

Jerry -- here's what I see, in summary:

1. at the aggregate, empirical level:

* the overall skill level -- understood as "socially necessary
education and training time" to take us back to value categories --
of the US workforce as a whole, of its non-managerial/non-supervisory
component, and even of its manual component taken separately, is
higher today than 100 or 200 years ago. (We could broaden the
discussion to encompass global interdependencies, but it's hard to
find data.) The white collar component doesn't show aggregate
upgrading over this period due to the huge growth in low-end clerical
and sales occupations. These upgrading trends also characterize most
individual industries and most individual occupations -- but
certainly not all. While it is interesting to study the skill
trajectory of individual occupations and industries, if we're
interested in capitalist development's skill requirements, we should
allow that overall requirement evolve in part due to shifts in the
industry and occupation mix.

* Jobs do, on the other hand, tend to become more specialized: there
is little doubt -- but even less data on the question -- that work
tends to become less autonomous. But should we make of that? I think
Braverman's celebration of craft autonomy falls under Marx's critique
of Proudhon's "craft idiocy" -- B like P ignores what's profoundly
progressive about the growing division of labor (both social and
detailed division), namely the broadening of interdependence, the
abolishing of local geography and craft parochialism. Yes, this
interdependence happens under the dictatorship of capital, but
history progresses by its bad side, no?

* Putting these two points together, we have a "socialization" of
work -- indirectly, via the internalization of society's aggregate
knowledge in the individual worker's cognitive apparatus (thru
education and training), and directly, via the broader and tighter
web of interdependence

2. To take your specific examples:

* ATMs remove the most mundane, least skilled of the teller's tasks
-- the overall job has tended as a result to become somewhat more
skilled. But it's been ages since I've seen any data -- the data I
recall showed a distinct upgrading trend for bank employees as a
whole and for branch employees in particular

* cashiers might well be an example of real deskilling

* notwithstanding the impression left by David Noble's work, much
pre-NC machining involved very little skill. It may have involved
union prerogatives that controlled access to the jobs, and these have
been clearly weakened, but the skill actually required by the work
was often very modest. Conversely, much post-NC work actively
involves "machine operators" in helping to edit programs on the
shop-floor -- see Maryellen Kelley's work of a decade ago. But as the
"bottom line," I have never found any good data on the aggregate
trends in machining. BTW: I would argue that we should include the
part-programmers in the assessment of the overall impact: (a) their
skill levels should be included in the overall skill assessment, and
(b) the interdependence between operators and programmers is
interesting to compare with the proud independence of the old-style
machinist (and I'm still with Marx against Proudhon!)

* hospitals are a nightmare. The main issues in hospitals have little
to do with our current discussion tho, and much more to do with
ruthless cuts in staffing levels. But the assertion of management
control (and financial control by insurance companies etc.) is also
having some good effects -- silver linings in a terrible cloud: if
you want to focus on the work organization issues, I'd point out that
doctors' traditional autonomy is hardly worth defending from our
class vantage point: I'd rather side with efforts to draw doctors
into "evidence based medicine," which forces docs to justify their
decisions both to utilization review staff and even to nursing staff
-- drawing them all into a broader fabric of interdependence.

3. To put it more theoretically, I'd say this: Neo-Marxist labor
process theory interprets  work conditions through the lenses of
Marx's account of the transition from the "formal subordination of
labor to capital" - where, as under insider contracting, management
profits primarily from absolute surplus value derived from the
lengthening of the working day, leaving workers to organize the
details of production - to "real" subordination - where, most notably
under Scientific Management, management takes charge of the labor
process and reconfigures it to increase labor efficiency and  thereby
extract relative surplus value. Labor process theory sees this
transition as one towards  ubiquitous management control and
"degraded"  labor.

I think LPT has lost sight of the basic contradictions of capitalism
in this account: even as capital strengthens its domination, it must
foster cooperative relations with and within the "collective worker"
in order to produce the use-values that will be sold to assure
profits. LPT has largely seen the contradiction between the labor
process (the creation of use values) and the valorization process
(the creation of surplus value) in terms of the contradiction between
production and exchange (JE Kelly, 1985). But the valorization
process is not only what happens when surplus value is realized in
sales: it is also the force shaping the labor process for surplus
value creation within the enterprise.

If we lose sight of the on-going contradiction between labor process
and valorization process within production, it is difficult to
account for the contradictory history of Scientific Management, and
in particular for the coexistence of bitter struggles by workers
against such rationalization with important cases of workers
embracing Scientific Management (see, for example, the case the
Amalgamated Clothing Workers under Sidney Hillman described by
Fraser, 1991) and with the history of the Scientific Management
movement's progressive embrace of unionism and the cause of economic
planning (see Jacoby 1983; also Nelson, 1992; Schachter, 1989;
Nyland, //).

In the software factory as on the shop floor, purely coercive
dependence cannot entirely displace collaborative interdependence,
else production would cease. The effect of the supercession of formal
subordination by real subordination -- combined with the related
development of the forces of production -- is to progressively deepen
and broaden the collaborative interdependence of the collective
worker, and thereby exacerbate the contradiction between the
increasingly socialized forces of production (here embodied in the
capabilities of the collective worker) with exploitative relations of
production.

Looking forward to reactions!
Paul

--