[OPE-L:8325] social responsibility of technologists

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 08:56:41 EST

I was asked the following off-list.  Does anyone have any
suggested readings or comments?  I thought of John D.
Bernal's _The social function of science_  but that was
written in 1939.  The journal _Bulletin of Concerned
Atomic Scientists_ also comes to mind as a possible
resource.

Solidarity, Jerry

CAN YOU SUGGEST ME A BOOK/READING WHERE I CAN FIND A DISCUSSION OF THE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY OF TECHNOLOGISTS WHEN AND IF THEIR INNOVATIONS SERVE ONLY THE RULING CAPITALIST CLASS?
If you do research in technology, the fruits of your research will ultimately help the capitalist grow rich and stronger and it will throw the working class persons in the reserve army of unemployed. Then should the technology abandon that project of innovations or how should he make his innovations help the working classes within the framework of the capitalist society?