[OPE-L:8404] Re: If you... Freedom of expression

From: Michael Eldred (artefact@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 16:24:14 EST

Cologne 28-Jan-2003

Re: [OPE-L:8400]

Asfilho@aol.com schrieb Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:04:51 EST:

> If You're Happy And You Know It Bomb Iraq
>
> by John Robbins
>
> If you cannot find Osama, bomb Iraq
> If the markets are a drama, bomb Iraq.
> If the terrorists are frisky,  Pakistan is looking shifty,  North Korea is
> too risky, bomb Iraq.
> If we have no allies with us, bomb Iraq.
> If we think that someone's dissed us, bomb Iraq.
> So to hell with the inspections,  Let's look tough for the elections,  Close
> your mind and take directions, Bomb Iraq.
> It's pre-emptive non-aggression, bomb Iraq.
> To prevent this mass destruction, bomb Iraq.
> They've got weapons we can't see,  And  that's all the proof we need,  If
> they're not there, they must be there,  Bomb Iraq.
> If you never were elected, bomb Iraq.
> If your mood is quite dejected, bomb Iraq.
> If you think Saddam's gone mad,  With the weapons that he had,  And he tried
> to kill your dad,  Bomb Iraq.
> If corporate fraud is growin', bomb Iraq.
> If your ties to it are showin', bomb Iraq.
> If your politics are sleazy, And hiding that ain't easy,  And your manhood's
> getting queasy,  Bomb Iraq.
> Fall in line and follow orders, bomb Iraq.
> For our might knows not our borders, bomb Iraq.
> Disagree? We'll call it treason,  Let's make war not love this season,
> Even if we have no reason,  Bomb Iraq.

Freedom of expression:
The placard of a protester against the World Economic Forum in Davos last
weekend reads: "Stop the economical terrorism" (sic. photo Financial Times
Deutschland 27-Jan-2003 p.29)

This is freedom of the _logos_.
For the most part, _legein_ is _legein ti kata tinos_, speaking is saying
something with respect to
something -- _doxa_, opinion. In this example, "economy" is seen with respect to
something else,
namely, "terrorism".

Freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, freedom of the media -- all freedoms
characterizing the
Western world. Socrates, Plato and Aristotle all saw the danger in the freedom
of _legein_ -- the
freedom to practise sophistry, the wedding of word with the striving for power
and influence.

There is also the possibility of _legein kath'auto_, speaking according to the
thing itself and thus
uncovering the being in its being as it shows itself of itself. This is the work
of _horismos_ performed by the _logos_ to achieve Begriff, concept.

Aristotle conceives this as the task of _protae philosophia_ within a certain
way of living -- _bios theoraetikos_, the theoretical life that withdraws from
the fray of practical life and devotes itself to uncovering, decrypting what is
covered up and encrypted beneath the strivings of practical life -- the
'economic' striving for goods, the 'social' striving for esteem, the 'political'
striving for power.

Too "philosophical"? Adopt a worldview. Share it with your like-minded friends.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-  artefact text and translation _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
http://www.webcom.com/artefact/ _-_-_-_-artefact@webcom.com _-_